Today’s session I was pretty psycked up for but ultimately I got cut down by Davey in an early session.
I started off with decent intensity but after round 4 I was basically in recovery the entire time after kicks to my left leg.
Overall, I felt I was much less intense than the first two sessions but I think my experience is still increasing quickly. The intensity level will be something I monitor in the next session
Goals for today:
- Didn’t outline anything in particular in advance
- Try to use the spear (minor success)
- Try the crossover leg-work talked about in class this week (minor success early on, fell off hard half way)
- more body shots (minor success)
- vary up punching speed. I tended to always throw the same speed with the same rhythm
- against taller people with more reach, get in the pocket. Can’t hit them otherwise
- check leg kicks more
- need more intensity and commit to punches
- if I grab their leg, one technique then release
- I need to have more intensity with my punches.
- towards the end I was in range a lot of the time and he was defending, waiting for me to strike
- I didn’t strike at all for fear of a counter
- Need to strike anyway otherwise nothing happens
- In the same vein, sometimes I’d throw a half punch like I was second guessing myself. Can’t be doing that
- Didn’t have any more luck with getting in range by myself.
- After a few real exchanges, he let me into the pocket and we scrapped for a bit.
- I think I lost that too, not sure why. I went primarily for body shots when in the pocket. Need to figure out why I’m not going for the head at all in the pocket.
- Managed to spear him once or twice
- His punches hurt a lot, as expected of his size
- The round felt like it ended too quickly, so I think I wasn’t being intense enough
- cut me down pretty badly with leg kicks
- was also the best this session at checking my kicks. I think it discouraged me a lot from kicking him more, which lead to the 1-sided fight
- One fight I had I caught a guy’s kick and instead of me letting loose on him, he punched me a bunch in the head and I couldn’t get a technique in.
- Should note his response for myself
- At another point I tried mixing in multiple techniques off a catch, which is bad too I think because I’m defending one arm against two and the target for kicks would be weird.